Krebs – Allegro (A:3) ABRSM Grade 6 ‘…in bits…’

This YouTube video is the second in my ‘…in bits…’ series, a  collection of tutorials where I follow the completed piece with hands separate videos, voice separate, slow, with and without ornamentation, whatever I think could prove useful.

With pieces such as the Krebs, it is invaluable to not just go straight in with the ornaments, but to learn the music without any decoration as if that version were a piece in its own right; i.e., the musical equivalent of being able to see the woods despite the trees.  I don’t teach this technique because ornaments are scary (they’re not), or because they are difficult (again, they’re really not!), but because they are only ornamentation, and unless a musician can understand the main body of the music in its plainest form, they have no chance of understanding it with added fiddly bits.

What I missed on this collection, and I regret not adding in, was an even more stripped back version which my students have been learning.  The Krebs, indeed all music, can be stripped back to basic harmony or simple melodic lines, and it is incredibly useful to learn this unornamented version, rather than just obvious one we read on the page.  I might add this in later; it’s certainly been fascinating for me to see how my students have been stripping this piece back in different ways to me and to each other.

Advertisements
  1. #1 by Percy Sugden on July 7, 2015 - 8:52 am

Profuse apologies for being off-topic Lynne but as I have joined the anti-Facebook and Twitter brigade, I would like to take this opportunity to wish every single one of your students all the very best for the end of term concert on this Sunday the 12th. My teacher has hers on the very same day and I’ll be playing.

• #2 by properpianofingers on July 7, 2015 - 8:55 am

Thank you! And the very best of luck to you too for your concert, I hope the performance goes well for you and you have an enjoyable experience.

2. #3 by Percy Sugden on July 7, 2015 - 5:21 pm

Thanks Lynne. I shall be the oldest performer by far at 45. My teacher says all her adults with the exception of yours truly aren’t that over keen on showcasing their talent at the concert and I was wondering is this a common thing??

3. #4 by properpianofingers on July 7, 2015 - 5:37 pm

I’m not really sure; all my adults are performing this year, although only one did last year. Let me know how it goes anyway! What are you performing?

4. #5 by Percy Sugden on July 8, 2015 - 7:45 pm

Gymnopedie no1, the penultimate (in graded sequence) piece in Classics To Moderns 3. The last piece in the book is this fortnight’s homework (the Grieg) so I’m hoping to get the first book 4 piece to work on over the summer.

5. #7 by Percy Sugden on July 10, 2015 - 6:28 am

Indeed, I was watching your concert from last year last night and to think just how far all of those guys would have come on in the space of twelve months! I like to look back at the archive of notebook postings that Anne (my teacher) has done over the months, I can’t believe last year I was about four pieces into Classics To Moderns 2. I think sometimes when we lose hope and wonder why we do it, it’s good to see where we were at twelve months ago and just see how much we’ve learned thanks to not only our own efforts but the faith our teachers have in us!.

6. #8 by Percy Sugden on July 13, 2015 - 7:37 am

Well Ms.Phillips, how did the concert go then? Mine went superb – and I wasn’t the only adult performer, though the girl that goes in for her lesson directly after me (and to whom I always say ‘have a good lesson Isis’ to when I see her) did suffer from nerves and went straight into the ‘little girl’s room’ to cry afterwards. Fortunately, my wife and her bladder were on hand to offer some consolation and her second piece was absolutely fantastic – well done Isis. Special thanks also to Alex, Maria, Sam, Anya and Elliott for all their hard work – and to Rebekah for playing to a concert crowd after only THREE lessons! Your flowers are lovely, Lynne. I thought I might get a ‘bucket’ after my performance! Now it’s back to repertoire pieces, my homework for Thursday, and in September, Christmas carols for her next concert.

• #9 by properpianofingers on July 13, 2015 - 9:04 am

The concert went fantastically well – I”ll be writing a blog post on it at some point so you can read up on the experience properly. I’m really glad you performed well, congratulations!